Association of Former Students Building Fund

 

The Association was established on June 26, 1879, when 11 former cadets hosted a reception in Houston initiating the first formal organization of A&M former students. In 1919 after some organization changes it became “The Association of Former Students.”

Lacking a permanent location on the A&M campus, the Alumni Association created a fundraising campaign to erect a YMCA-Alumni Memorial Building in 1910. Although this building was dedicated on February 15, 1915, the Y never was home to the Alumni Association. Instead, they forfeited the building to Texas A&M to provide space for the campus’s growth.

In 1986 the Class of ’84 made a $1,000 cash donation to the construction of a new alumni center, and in 1987 The Association of Former Students dedicated its first free-standing building, the Clayton W. Williams, Jr. Alumni Center.  Finally the long series of temporary locations ended.

In 2008 the building underwent a significant remodel and was rededicated in the fall of 2009. The newly remodeled building houses six interactive exhibits: Traditions, Spirit, Muster, Memories, Legacy and Network.  It is definitely worth a visit!